We at ESN Uni Helsinki are looking for new board members for the ongoing academic year 2020-21!
Currently, we are especially looking for a vice president, a treasurer, an events coordinator and a secretary. We also have a few open board assisting positions. Below you will find descriptions and requirements for both board and board assisting positions. Do not feel discouraged if you do not fulfill all the requirements. We appreciate enthusiasm and a willingness to learn new things and are eagerly waiting for you to join one of our meetings or contact us via email, Facebook or Instagram!
If you are looking for information on how to become an active member of our section, please see our FAQ page.
Open board positions
- helps the president to plan the agendas for the meetings
- makes sure that everything is running smoothly and that everyone knows what they are supposed to do
- is responsible for training, informing and motivating members with the president
- takes resposibility if the president is unable to take part in meetings
- makes sure that the ESN Uni Helsinki rules are being followed
- with the president, keeps in touch with the Student Union HYY, the University, ESN Finland, other ESN sections, contact persons for the Mechelininkatu venue and partners
- with the president, keeps contracts with HYY, NPG and other possible partners updated
- good organising and decision-making skills
- management and communication skills
- general knowledge of ESN and ESN Uni Helsinki
- Is in charge of the financial matters and the accounting
- Keeps the accounting books up-to-date
- Weekly money handling (pays the invoices and reimbursements for the actives, deposits cash in the bank)
- Monitors incomes and expenses in accordance with the budget
- Takes care of money related applications, such as Timetravels commissions
- Sends the financial statements (Income Statement, Balance sheet, accounting books, receipts, invoices etc.) to the auditors 3 weeks before the association meeting in the autumn
- Presents the financial statements (Income Statement, Balance sheet) at the association meeting in the autumn and plans a budget for the financial year
- accounting or business experience, or strong interest
- regular weekly commitment for updating the Accounting books
- makes the meeting arrangements (books the meeting place, picks up meeting snacks, makes sure everything is cleaned afterwards)
- writes the minutes of the meetings
- sends the minutes of the previous meeting to the chairperson and scrutinizers within two weeks of the meeting
- prints the finished minutes of the meeting and gathers signatures from the chairperson and scrutinizers
- ability to type quickly
- good oral and written English skills
- attending every meeting
- is in charge of all the events in general
- finds organisers and helpers for the event (other board members and active members)
- makes sure that ESN actives know what to do at the event
- makes sure that everything runs smoothly
- participating in all the events is not required, but supervising is a must
- makes sure that all the events in the Annual Plan are organized by the members
- creates Facebook events and makes background pictures and writes descriptions for them
- promotes events on Facebook
- creates sign-up forms and sends letters to the participants (or helps the organizers of the event with these tasks if needed)
- keeps track of all organised events to be able to send a yearly Events Calendar to HYY
- comes up with event ideas
- works together with the other coordinators (SocialErasmus, ExchangeAbility, ResponsibleParty, Parties, Trips, Buddy Project)
- dedication and time
- good organizing and planning skills
- management and communication skills
- ability to consider the benefits and expectations of the students
- cooperation skills
- good writing skills in English
- basic IT knowledge:
- ability to use Google Forms and create Facebook events is a must
- Photoshop skills or knowledge of some other photo editor (e.g. Canva) is a plus
In addition to their individual tasks, all board members are expected to attend meetings and events regularly, volunteer as group leaders when needed, help with promotion and assist in planning the activities and events and the action plan for each semester. In return, ESN Uni Helsinki offers amazing opportunities for improving different skills (both practical and interpersonal), becoming a member of an international community and getting to participate in some memorable trips and events.
Board assisting coordinators
Office Hour Coordinator
NB! Due to the coronavirus situation we are not having office hours.
ESN Uni Helsinki organizes office hours every two weeks during the academic year, and additional office hours before big events such as sitsit or sauna parties.
An Office Hour Coordinator...
- keeps in touch with the events coordinator, party coordinator and other board members in order to stay up to date about events.
- Participates in ESN Uni Helsinki meetings.
- is responsible for organizing Office Hours. The coordinator books the room, creates an event to Facebook, and is present at Office Hours if possible. They also make sure that there are enough actives at the office hour.
- handles the cash flow, exchanges the float cash into coins if needed and gives the cash along with the summary cash form to the treasurer after each office hour.
- fills Office Hour forms during the Office Hour, after that takes a picture of the form and saves it to Google Drive (filled forms and office hour stuff are stored in club room cupboard).
A SocialErasmus Coordinator is responsible for organizing SocialErasmus Events. The aim of SocialErasmus is to enrich the international experience of young people abroad with volunteering activities that allow them to understand society’s problems and to work on the solutions. On practical level, tasks involve organizing events, excursions and fundraisings that help raise awareness of different issues involving the society and on a broader scale our global community. SocialErasmus program is highlighted during the SE week which is organized every semester. https://socialerasmus.esn.org/
Mov’in Europe Coordinator
A Mov'in Europe Coordinator is responsible for promoting mobility in all its forms (e.g. student exchange, internships...) The position gives the coordinator freedom as they can be very flexible in the way they decide to promote the mobility.
Examples of what a Mov'in Europe Coordinator can do:
- creating a website or a Facebook page to students about mobility opportunities
- collecting the mobility experiences and stories of people to share it with others
- organizing a mobility festival
ExchangeAbility is an ESN International project aimed at improving the mobility possibilities of those with disabilities. The coordinator is responsible for organizing events such as Dinner in the Dark. They are also responsible for promoting accessibility of their own ESN section. Read more about the ExchangeAbility project on its website.
A Sports Coordinator is responsible for organizing sports events. The activities can include running, skating, climbing, volleyball, hiking, yoga, karate… you name it! The sports coordinator has a unique opportunity to get to know the exchange students. The sports coordinator is also the contact person for the ice hockey team Jokerit, and will organize visits to their games. Interest in sports and good organization skills are required.